Summer is officially here, great weather, barbecues, some days at the beach and taking a well-deserved rest.
But before leaving your house for a couple of days, you should take care of this important detail, your home. Summer can be a great season, but not only for us. Burglary gets its peak season during this time.
According to the FBI, crime rates increase approximately 10% in June, July, and August, so if you are planning a vacation, you can follow this simple checklist before you leave your house:
- An extra pair of eyes is always welcome and more when you are away, talk with a trusted neighbor and let them know your travel plans.
- Lock ALL the doors. Double check that all doors and windows are securely locked, almost 30% of burglars enter a home through an unlocked door or window. An upgrade to a Smart Lock will you give you this extra level of security and Ultraloq offers you a variety of Smart Locks to avoid being a part of this ugly number.
- Add a second layer of security to your front door aka deadbolt. A surprising 34% of burglars enter through the front door. If you don't have one now, you can check out our U-Bolt Pro.
- Make it look like someone is home.
- Stop your mail delivery, you don't want a bunch of envelopes and packages outside your door that mean "Hey, no one's home, come inside."
- Put timers on lights inside and outside.
- Keep a neat yard, trim the bushes, you don't want to create any possible hiding spot.
- Store your valuables somewhere safe, not under your bed, get a proper safe, the average loss of a home burglary is $2,400.
- Finally, install a security system, this can take some time but, homes without a security system have a 300% more chance of getting broken into.
You're all set, remember to follow this checklist before heading out. Enjoy your holiday!